Change of payee name

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 29 16:33:56 UTC 2016

On 2016.12.29 09:08, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> On Thursday 29 December 2016 11:48:45 Bob Williams wrote:
>
>> One of my payees has merged with another business, resulting in a
>> new name. If I change the payee name in KMM, then all the historical
>> transactions change payee. This is good behaviour, as spelling
>> sometimes needs to corrected, but see my next question.
> >
>> Is there a way to create a new payee but somehow link it to an
>> existing payee, so that new transactions appear with the new name,
>> but earlier transactions are still associated with the old name?
>
> You can simply create a new payee using the payee view.
> Unfortunately, your e- mail footer does not contain the KMyMoney
> version ;) but this works for a long time.
>
> I am not sure if I understand your 'problem' which would only exist
> in case the two payees have the same name. Otherwise, they are just
> two separate payees. The old one keeps all the transactions assigned
> to him/her, the new one will get the new transactions.
>
> It would get a bit tricky if you still receive online transactions
> with the old name as payee information and want to map that to the
> new payee. But that is also possible in KMyMoney.
>
> Maybe you can share an example or explain the setup a bit more.

I have had the same issue.  As just one example, my telephone company
changed from AT&T to Frontier.  For the moment, lets ignore the issue
of a few transactions where the billing name doesn't really match who
I'm paying.  I will make a personal decision which name/payee to use
for those.  The issue is that I seem to have two choices, and both have
a down side.

1) I simply change the name of the payee from AT&T to Frontier.  Now
all my old and future phone bills show up under the same payee.  The
problem is that (unless I also put the company name in the memo) there
is no easy way to know which company a particular transaction actually
went to.  I will say the many of my OFX imports do put the company name
in the memo, but I have typically removed these, since in general (with
the exception of this issue) I see no reason to have the same value in
the payee and the memo.

2) I create a new payee for Frontier.  Now I know which company was
associated with each transaction, but I can't easily see all my phone
bills under a single payee.  I can see them by looking at the
appropriate category (assuming I have one for phone bills) but if I
only use a category for all utility bills, there is no easy, sinlge
place to just see all the phone bills.

So - whether someon can easily see all transactions for both companies
at the same time (assuming he does create a new payee) is possible if
they are all assigned to the same category.  It is also possible in a
transaction report, but just selecting those two payees.  Another way
would be to create a tag, and apply it to the appropriate transactions,
but that would take a lot of manual work to set it up initially.

Bob - did I understand correctly, and do you have a better idea of your
options?