Why does CSV Export DROP unassigned transactions?

Peter J. Farley III pjfarley3 at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 23 18:16:53 UTC 2016

Thanks for the response Allan.

After reading your answers below, I do understand.  I will file a
wishlist entry.

However, I must also comment that IMHO a transaction without a
category (unassigned) is not necessarily a case of "bad data".
"Missing" does not necessarily equal "bad", though as you correctly
say the user should certainly be alerted to the condition so that it
can be corrected.  A report or log of all such transactions generated
at the end of an import or export function would be my preferred
solution to that reporting.  Perhaps a log file to disk with a pop-up
window identifying the log file name and location would be the easiest
implementation.  I will suggest that solution in my wishlist entry.

I would also hope that any future "database" implementation of the KMM
main file would not make the Category field a "required" database
column at import or export time, since import of transactions from
outside sources may or may not contain "category" information.

This was a checking account being exported, not an investment account.

Regards,

Peter