Why does CSV Export DROP unassigned transactions?

aga agander93 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 11:08:05 UTC 2016

Hi

I think it would be best for you to raise a bug report for this, as it
may take some while for a fix to be produced.  Strictly, it is not a
bug as the software is doing what it was designed to do.  Please report
it as a wishlist entry, so that it is not forgotten.

Please say if an investment account was being exported.  It probably
makes not a lot of difference, but at least it helps to initially
concentrate on the suspect area.

More in line below.

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:00:33 -0500
"Peter J. Farley III" <pjfarley3 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hi All,

> kMyMoney V4.7.2 on Win7 64-bit system when exporting in CSV format
> DROPS transactions with unassigned categories.  And it pops up a
> window for every single such transaction, requiring the user to click
> OK for each one.  Why does it do that?

Not a very useful answer, I'm afraid, but the CSV exporter was largely
based on the QIF exporter, but expanded.  So, the way is is, is pretty
historic, unfortunately.

> Why can't it just write out the transaction with a null CSV field for
> the category, and also report all such transactions in one single
> window at the end of the export process instead of a separate pop-up
> window for each one?

I think the expectation was that, probably, a single transaction was in
error, rather than bulk transactions.

> It makes no sense to me to DROP transactions with unassigned
> categories.  The user may not have gotten around to assigning
> categories yet but may still need to export all such transactions.

Whilst that does seem reasonable, remember that there is still a
problem in your KMM file, which still needs to be resolved, so the user
does need to be alerted.  If the transaction is unbalanced, what gets
exported could contain bad data.

> Does V4.8.0 change this behavior?

No, nor the development branch.

> Peter