[Kmymoney] kmm vs. MySQL Database in KMyMoney-4.7.2

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Fri May 22 07:56:21 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Friday 22 May 2015 09:21:32 Christian Dávid wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 20. Mai 2015, 17:36:52 schrieb Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers:
> > As one of my accounts has collected pretty much transactions during the
> > time,  the upgrade of the database after importing data from the bank
> > takes
> > a significant amount of time, perhaps more than one minute.
> >
> > On a parallel box I am doing the same, but with the *.kmm database instead
> > of  the mysql one. The upgrade of this database is very much faster, may
> > be
> > one or two seconds.
> >
> > Now some few questions:
> > 1.) Is there, from the point of view of the developers any reason for
> > using
> > mysql or kmm ? e.g. safety, sql-access or any others ?
>
> I would recommend to use the kmy file. Mainly because it is faster and a
> SQL database has no advantage in KMyMoney.
>
> I am not totally sure but I think if your computer crashes while you are
> saving a kmy file, this may lead to data loss (depends on the used file
> system?!). SQL databases usually use more steps to handle even that case.

Agreed. The file based backend supports a rolling backup copy. See Option
'General/Number of backups to keep' and make sure the number is sufficiently
different from 0.

> > 2.) could the low mysql performance be a result of not yet finished
> > development or is it simple system inherent ?
>
> Unfortunately the system is just inherent. Do not expect the performance to
> increase (4.8 got some optimizations, but I doubt this will improve what you
> described). The main developer of the SQL backend has unfortunately not
> enough time for major improvements anymore.
>
> > 3.) I still get in my login-mask an "Atention: this program is still under
> > development..." when working  with MySQL. Is this note in the meantime not
> > obsolet ? what could go wrong after years of use ?
>
> It is exactly as you wrote. The KMyMoney devs are very careful. I think it
> will be gone in 4.8.

Nothing is worse than believing in wrong financial figures and running into a
debt. This is what we try to avoid as hell.

The only 'intuitive' interface is the nipple. After that, it's all learned.
 -- Bruce Ediger, bediger at teal.csn.org, on X interfaces