[Kmymoney] kmm vs. MySQL Database in KMyMoney-4.7.2

Christian Dávid christian-david at web.de
Fri May 22 07:21:32 UTC 2015

Am Mittwoch, 20. Mai 2015, 17:36:52 schrieb Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers:
> As one of my accounts has collected pretty much transactions during the
> time,  the upgrade of the database after importing data from the bank takes
> a significant amount of time, perhaps more than one minute.
>
> On a parallel box I am doing the same, but with the *.kmm database instead
> of  the mysql one. The upgrade of this database is very much faster, may be
> one or two seconds.
>
> Now some few questions:
> 1.) Is there, from the point of view of the developers any reason for using
> mysql or kmm ? e.g. safety, sql-access or any others ?

I would recommend to use the kmy file. Mainly because it is faster and a
SQL database has no advantage in KMyMoney.

I am not totally sure but I think if your computer crashes while you are
saving a kmy file, this may lead to data loss (depends on the used file
system?!). SQL databases usually use more steps to handle even that case.

> 2.) could the low mysql performance be a result of not yet finished
> development or is it simple system inherent ?

Unfortunately the system is just inherent. Do not expect the performance to
increase (4.8 got some optimizations, but I doubt this will improve what you
described). The main developer of the SQL backend has unfortunately not enough
time for major improvements anymore.

> 3.) I still get in my login-mask an "Atention: this program is still under
> development..." when working  with MySQL. Is this note in the meantime not
> obsolet ? what could go wrong after years of use ?

It is exactly as you wrote. The KMyMoney devs are very careful. I think it will
be gone in 4.8.

Greetings
Chris