[Kmymoney] [Kmymoney-devel] Developing a plugin

Jack Ostroff ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 28 00:26:37 UTC 2015

Keeping on the list, in case there are other ideas.

On 2015.01.27 13:17, Paolo Spanevello wrote:
> the goal could be: "Insert in KMM the cash expences that the user has
> during the day. In this way the user knows where spends his cash
> money and fill the gap between withdraw cash from ATM (that the user
> have to remember the expences of the day) or pay with the card
> connect by the bank Account (records that are easy to have from the
> web application of the bank )".
>
> This is useful in some country where the cash is common way to pay.
> The best should be to use a web application with the phone.

> > On 2015.01.25 17:07, Paolo Spanevello wrote:
>>> does anybody develop a web plugin? at least the essential features
>>> for example insert a record in the Ledgers?
>>
>> Also, KMyMoney is a KDE application, not a web application.  Plugins
>> are to add functionality to the main application.  Writing a web
>> application to add data to a KMyMoney file is certainly possible,
>> but it would not be a KMyMoney plugin - it would be a completely
>> separate application (and not an easy thing to do.)
> >
>> Just off the top of my head, it might be more reasonable to write a
>> web application to accept the data necessary for new transactions,
>> but store it as an OFX file, which can then be imported into
>> KMyMoney.  However, it also depends on what your actual goal is.

So the real goal is to capture cash transactions during the day so they
can be inserted into KMM when you get home.  In my opinion, a web
application is the wrong way to go here, since you would need to run a
web server someplace, and I don't think each person who wants to
capture this data would want to do that.  I suppose you might create a
static web page (javascript? something else?) that would allow data
entry and local storage of the data on the phone.  You could then
transfer the data to your PC when you get home, and do so in a format
easily imported by KMM, such as CSV (comma separated value).  I don't
know if there are already any simple spreadsheet apps for phones.  You
could also write a phone app to do the data entry, and also recognize
when you were at home by knowing your home network, and then
automatically transfer the file.

Also - there is someone who was working on trying to create an android
version of KMM, but I don't know whether that has progressed past an
early beta version over two years ago, I think.  He had posted on the
kmymoney-devel mailing list, but I don't recall seeing anything
recently.  I'll have to dig up one of his messages and ask for an
update.