[Kmymoney] KMyMoney Encryption on Windows

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 27 00:34:04 UTC 2014

On 2014.05.26 15:54, LES TURNER wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got KmyMoney running on both OpenSuse and also on a separate
> partition on a Windows 7 Home Premium install.
>
> Enryption works great on the KMyMoney install in OpenSuse, but when I
> try to configure encryption on KMyMoney in the Windows system, the
> encryption section is greyed out.
>
> I installed Gpg4win on Windows before installing KMyMoney and can
> encrypt and decrypt using this via Windows Explorer without problems
> so I believe my key is recognised and accepted as valid.
> I use this same key for encryption on KMyMoney / OpenSuse and it is
> fine.
>
> The error message I get on KMyMoney / Windows is "GPG is not
> available for decryption of file G:/Name.kmy".  When I close that
> error message I get a further error message "File G:/Name.kmy
> contains the old binary format used by KMyMoney. Please use an older
> version of KMyMoney (0.8.x) that still supports this format to
> convert it to the new XML based format".  Initially I had KmyMoney
> version 4.6.3 on both systems but have since installed the later
> KMyMoney version 4.6.4 on Windows and am still having the same
> problems.
>
> I am comfortable working in Windows but am a novice on Linux and GPG
> encryption. Simple instructions would therefore be very much
> appreciated!
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
>
> I did check through the Community Forum where someone had apparently
> got encryption to work on Windows, but following the guidance, I
> still have the same problem that KmyMoney does not recognise that GPG
> encryption is in place on the PC.

Les,

Hopefully another user or one of the developers who specifically works
with KMM on Windows will chime in, but I think the issue is likely that
you are missing some KDE GPG component utility, which is what actually
does the de/encryption.  Gpg4win (I believe) is a native windows
program, where KMM is looking for the KDE utility.  However, it might
be possible for KMM on Windows to also check for gpg4win.exe as an
alternative - but that would have to get logged as a wishlist item to
bugs.kde.org, so for now, I'd advise waiting for other feedback.

For further information, from my limited knowledge of KDE on Windows, I
assume you used the standalone KMM installer, and not the general KDE
on Windows installer.  Again, my understanding is that while this is
generally a much easier approach, and less prone to problems, this lack
of gpg is one of the side effects.

I'm pretty sure it's possible - but it may take some additional
installation, or possibly an enhancement to the program.  If there are
no other responses in a bit, I'll bring it up on the developers list.