[Kmymoney] KMyMoney Encryption on Windows

LES TURNER les.turner5 at btinternet.com
Mon May 26 19:54:43 UTC 2014

Hello,

I've got KmyMoney running on both OpenSuse and also on a separate partition on a Windows 7 Home Premium install.

Enryption works great on the KMyMoney install in OpenSuse, but when I try to configure encryption on KMyMoney in the Windows system, the encryption section is greyed out.

I installed Gpg4win on Windows before installing KMyMoney and can encrypt and decrypt using this via Windows Explorer without problems so I believe my key is recognised and accepted as valid.
I use this same key for encryption on KMyMoney / OpenSuse and it is fine.

The error message I get on KMyMoney / Windows is "GPG is not available for decryption of file G:/Name.kmy".  When I close that error message I get a further error message "File G:/Name.kmy contains the old binary format used by KMyMoney. Please use an older version of KMyMoney (0.8.x) that still supports this format to convert it to the new XML based format".  Initially I had KmyMoney version 4.6.3 on both systems but have since installed the later KMyMoney version 4.6.4 on Windows and am still having the same problems.

I am comfortable working in Windows but am a novice on Linux and GPG encryption. Simple instructions would therefore be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

I did check through the Community Forum where someone had apparently got encryption to work on Windows, but following the guidance, I still have the same problem that KmyMoney does not recognise that GPG

encryption is in place on the PC.

Help please.

Les