[Kmymoney] Investments: Dividend Reversal

Allan agander93 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 11:11:04 UTC 2014

On 14/01/14 01:41, Joe W. Byers wrote:

>> Alan,
>>>
>>> You are correct.  I finally realized that after entering and deleting
>>> the transaction several time.  Is the action from being in and out of
>>> focus the way this should behave?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>> I imagine so, although I wasn't around at design time.  Certainly, it
>> has been this way as long as I can remember, without query, I believe.
>>
>> When the transaction in question does not have focus, the amount shown
>> is the value of the transaction without taking into account cash-flow
>> direction, in the same way as for a Buy and a Sell.  In focus, the
>> Interest becomes visible, showing direction.
>>
>> Allan
> Allan,
>
> I want to review my entries, but this is what I found.  Yes, as the
> focus on the entry changed the sing of the negative dividend changed.
> The entry was correctly  transfer to the brokerage account.  Now because
> the total amount was determined by the focus, when it was updated for
> the trading account, it keep the positive sign.  This requires be to
> generate a remove shares entry and add a comment that this in a closing
> to adjust the security's quantity to zero.
>
> Does this sound correct to you?

I don't think so, but I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are
looking at.  The total amount is not determined by the focus, and the
amount column never shows a sign.  Focussing on a particular transaction
doesn't change any sign or value, only the display of them.  Why does a
share quantity come into play with a dividend transaction?

Perhaps it would help to go through the steps involved, and what you see
- perhaps a screen-shot?

> I know these issues are on the edge for most bookending software and in
> previous lives, I would just make a journal entry and go on with the
> next item on my todo list.
>
> Thank you and this is a great product.

Allan