[Kmymoney] Investments: Dividend Reversal

Joe W. Byers ecjbosu at aol.com
Tue Jan 14 01:41:55 UTC 2014

On 01/13/2014 05:29 AM, Allan wrote:

>>> If I understand correctly, you have a conventional dividend, and you
>>> wish to enter a balancing dividend with a negative amount?
>>>
>>> If that is the case, then I'm not sure what the difficulty is, as I am
>>> able to do that, both via import and manually.
>>>
>>> If I enter $-10 as the interest, it immediately shows as a value of
>>> $-10. Once the transaction is entered, if the focus is moved, the
>>> value in the investment account will appear as $10, but if the focus
>>> is returned, the interest amount does show as $-10.  In the Asset
>>> account, the two transactions will show as a
>>> deposit and a payment.
>>>
>>> Allan
>

> Alan,
>>
>> You are correct.  I finally realized that after entering and deleting
>> the transaction several time.  Is the action from being in and out of
>> focus the way this should behave?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> I imagine so, although I wasn't around at design time.  Certainly, it
> has been this way as long as I can remember, without query, I believe.
>
> When the transaction in question does not have focus, the amount shown
> is the value of the transaction without taking into account cash-flow
> direction, in the same way as for a Buy and a Sell.  In focus, the
> Interest becomes visible, showing direction.
>
> Allan
Allan,

I want to review my entries, but this is what I found.  Yes, as the
focus on the entry changed the sing of the negative dividend changed.
The entry was correctly  transfer to the brokerage account.  Now because
the total amount was determined by the focus, when it was updated for
the trading account, it keep the positive sign.  This requires be to
generate a remove shares entry and add a comment that this in a closing
to adjust the security's quantity to zero.

Does this sound correct to you?

I know these issues are on the edge for most bookending software and in
previous lives, I would just make a journal entry and go on with the
next item on my todo list.

Thank you and this is a great product.

--
*Joe W. Byers*