[Kmymoney] 401k

aga agander93 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 18:41:25 UTC 2013

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 12:55:57 -0500
Joseph Quisgard <j.quisgard at gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, I have an investment account named 401k.
> I have a checking account named brokerage with asset as a parent
> account. It looks like I had that part right, It seems my issue was
> adding transactions.
> Let's say, I get cash from my pay, I have it so that money goes into
> the brokerage(checking) account.
> I then need to buy shares with the money from the brokerage account
> that will be added to the 401k(investment) account. I think this is
> where things get messed up.

First of all, let me make it clear that my knowledge of 401k is zero.

The only point possibly not fully explained so far is that, having
created the investment account, within that account you have to create
the actual security (just right click there).  Then, back in the
investment account, when you create a Buy, you can then select that
security.  I think that's what you'll need to do, but I could be wrong.

If you get this setup working, your next issue is importing
transactions.  Probably the best way to do this, if the option is
available, is via OFX, and providing you can get it to work.  If that
turns out not to be satisfactory, then possibly a CSV import may be
available.  If so, as that may be a bit tricky, depending on the
broker's file layout, I may be able to help further.

Allan