[Kmymoney] 401k

Joseph Quisgard j.quisgard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 18:43:11 UTC 2013

On 03/07/2013 01:27 PM, Jack wrote:
> We generally try to bottom post on this list. It keeps the flow of
> discussion easier to follow when referring to old topics.
>
> On 2013.03.07 12:55, Joseph Quisgard wrote:
>> OK, I have an investment account named 401k.
>> I have a checking account named brokerage with asset as a parent
>> account.
>> It looks like I had that part right, It seems my issue was adding
>> transactions.
>> Let's say, I get cash from my pay, I have it so that money goes into
>> the brokerage(checking) account.
>> I then need to buy shares with the money from the brokerage account
>> that will be added to the 401k(investment) account. I think this is
>> where things get messed up.
>> Thanks for the help by the way, I have been working on getting this
>> straightened out for months
>>>
>>> I didn't actually track my own 401k until I rolled it over into an
>>> IRA, but I don't really see any difference. Just use an Investment
>>> account, with an associated Brokerage (checking) account. The
>>> investments all go as securities in the investment account and all
>>> cash transactions go in the brokerage account. The main issue I've
>>> found is that you can't do OFX imports, since most brokerage firms
>>> do not distinguish the investment and cash portions as KMM does, so
>>> they lump all transactions. I know one of the developers has been
>>> working to get the csv importer to handle this, but I'm not really
>>> sure how far along he is, even though I should. The other option is
>>> to do the import, but know that some of the transactions will have
>>> to be moved to the other account.
>>>
>>> Minor issues: most securities (stocks, bonds, mutual funds) map
>>> easily to KMM securities, and you can automatically fetch prices
>>> from one of the several available sources for that data. I've had a
>>> small number of investments where that didn't work, so I have to
>>> manually do price updates or value adjustments.
>>>
>>> This should be enough to get started - let us know if you have any
>>> specific questions or problems.
>>>
>>> Jack
>
> So it seems to started out correctly. One Investment account, on
> Brokerage account. Contribution to 401K goes as cash to brokerage
> account. To buy stock, you have to go to the investment account and
> enter a "buy" transaction. Once you create the security, and enter the
> number of shares, price per share, and any fees, you specify the
> brokerage account as the place the money comes from to make the
> purchase. It is confusing until you get used to it - then it makes
> sense. Any transaction involving a security (stock, mutual fund, ...)
> is made in the investment account. If that transaction involves money
> (to purchase the security, proceeds from sales, dividends, ..., you
> specify the brokerage account for the cash transfer. You will see the
> deposit or withdrawal of that cash as a transaction in the brokerage
> account, but the only transactions you actually create in the
> [...]
My apologies, I didn't even realize I replied above the quote.
What you said makes sense. I was trying to use the manual to set this up
and for some reason I just couldn’t get it to behave as expected,
meaning the money and the shares purchased were not quite adding up..
I'll give this a go and re-read the manual entry on the subject. If I
see anything amiss I'll let you know.
Thanks again for the help