[Kmymoney] automated parted operation

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 24 15:14:10 UTC 2013

On 2013.07.24 10:45, hugo borrell wrote:
> 2013/7/24 Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net>
>> When KMM imports a transaction into an account, and it does not
>> match an already existing manually entered transaction, it uses the
>> format of an already existing transaction.  I do not know if it uses
>> simply the latest transaction in the account, or chooses some other
>> way.  However, I have had cases where imported transactions were
>> created with splits, even though I did not want that.  It apparently
>> happened because I had recently created manually a split transaction
>> in that account.  I give this long explanation just to show that it
>> should be possible to get at least part of what you want - you will
>> probably still have to adjust the amount of one or both of the
>> splits.

> Well, if the only manual intervention is to adjust the amount, this
> would be anyway better than what I'm doing up to now.

>> My suggestion to try this is to first manually enter at least two or
>> three transactions.  Then do the OFX import and see if the imported
>> transactions have the splits.

> YES : I first had to uncheck the  "default account" button in the
> "suggest category" tab of the payees list.
This may actually help me - it seems if I do assign a default category,
then imports won't use a split transaction as the model.

>> Also, to clarify something: the payee list that shows up (either on
>> a new transaction or editing an existing transaction) just has the
>> list of payees.  The list of previous transactions only shows up
>> AFTER you select a payee when manually entering a transaction.  It
>> also will not show up when editing a transaction, since the rest of
>> the transactions details are already present.  It will certainly not
>> show up when importing transactions, because the import should
>> complete by itself, without needing any manual intervention.

> Too bad : I wish I could parameter this, or make a keyboard shorcut
> to get it.

If you mean getting to the list of previous transactions, I don't think
it will be appropriate except for manually entering a new transaction.
If you were to use this when editing a transaction, it would be like
deleting the transaction you are editing and then creating a new one.
I don't think that would really help.

> This could of course be improved, since the global amount is not
> assigned : the last split is just copied with the exact amount of a
> previous transaction. I still have to edit the split, changing the
> "meal" category to 0 € to get a global unasigned amount that can than
> replace this 0 € to have a correct repartition.

Why do you have to chage the "meal" category split to 0?  You can just
change it directly to the correct amount.  However, it you don't know
it, then yes, changing to 0 to easily see the actual total less other
fixed amount is probably the easiest way.

Question for developers:  when importing uses a split transaction as
the model, how does the actual transaction amount get used in assigning
the amounts to the different splits.  It seems this might be something
that can safely be changed, or (as a wishlist) be subject to some
configuration setting.  (I have not had one of these in a while, so I
don't remember the details.)

Hugo - if you have any specific suggestions on how to improve how all
of this is described in the manual, please let me know (either private
email or to the list) since I do most of the editing and updating of
the manual.

Thanks.