[Kmymoney] automated parted operation

hugo borrell hugoborrell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 14:45:27 UTC 2013

2013/7/24 Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net>

> On 2013.07.24 09:36, hugo borrell wrote:
>
>> 2013/7/19 aga <agander93 at gmail.com>

>  > Enter your first transaction, including the split.  For my test, I used
>> > meal for the main category and deduct for the deduction part in the
>> > split.  Then select or enter "NearbyRestaurant" in Payee view and select
>> > 'meal' as the default category.
>> >
>> Up to now, no problem.
>> >
>> > Then open a new transaction, which should show "NearbyRestaurant" as
>> > the payee.  Even though it is already showing "NearbyRestaurant",
>> > select it from the drop-down.  A new window should open, 'Select
>> > autofill transaction', showing previous transactions.
>>
>> This is where I'm in trouble : this used to happen only if I created
>> manualy a new transaction, but not if I was importing transaction through
>> an OFX file : When I "edit" the transaction and pull down the payees list,
>> no "same transaction" window opens. Is there a way to make this come true
>> ?
>>

> When KMM imports a transaction into an account, and it does not match an
> already existing manually entered transaction, it uses the format of an
> already existing transaction.  I do not know if it uses simply the latest
> transaction in the account, or chooses some other way.  However, I have had
> cases where imported transactions were created with splits, even though I
> did not want that.  It apparently happened because I had recently created
> manually a split transaction in that account.  I give this long explanation
> just to show that it should be possible to get at least part of what you
> want - you will probably still have to adjust the amount of one or both of
> the splits.

Well, if the only manual intervention is to adjust the amount, this would
be anyway better than what I'm doing up to now.

> My suggestion to try this is to first manually enter at least two or three
> transactions.  Then do the OFX import and see if the imported transactions
> have the splits.

YES : I first had to uncheck the  "default account" button in the "suggest
category" tab of the payees list.

> Also, to clarify something: the payee list that shows up (either on a new
> transaction or editing an existing transaction) just has the list of
> payees.  The list of previous transactions only shows up AFTER you select a
> payee when manually entering a transaction.  It also will not show up when
> editing a transaction, since the rest of the transactions details are
> already present.  It will certainly not show up when importing
> transactions, because the import should complete by itself, without needing
> any manual intervention.

Too bad : I wish I could parameter this, or make a keyboard shorcut to get
it.

> Let us know what happens when you try the import when the account contains
> several transactions with the splits as you want them.

It works but I first have to uncheck the KMM "sugestion" as written above.

Thanks a lot for provided help Allan and Jack !

This could of course be improved, since the global amount is not assigned :
the last split is just copied with the exact amount of a previous
transaction. I still have to edit the split, changing the "meal" category
to 0 € to get a global unasigned amount that can than replace this 0 € to
have a correct repartition.

Not perfect, but still far better than what I was doing previously.

2013/7/24 Koos Pol <koos2013 at pohw.nl>

> Op 24-07-13 15:53, Jack schreef:
> > Let us know what happens when you try the import when the account
> contains
> > several transactions with the splits as you want them.
>
> I'm reading "templated transactions" somewhere in the distance...
>
> Koos

Hi Koos,

Where's that ? In documentation ? A sub menu ? Could that be related to an
automated split ? It sounds like it could be...

Hugo