[Kmymoney] automated parted operation

hugo borrell hugoborrell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 15:53:59 UTC 2013

2013/7/24 Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net>

> On 2013.07.24 10:45, hugo borrell wrote:
>
>> 2013/7/24 Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net>
>>

>>  This may actually help me - it seems if I do assign a default category,
> then imports won't use a split transaction as the model.

I'm glad I could help you in return :-)

>>>  If you mean getting to the list of previous transactions, I don't think
> it will be appropriate except for manually entering a new transaction.  If
> you were to use this when editing a transaction, it would be like deleting
> the transaction you are editing and then creating a new one.  I don't think
> that would really help.

Now that I could get my transaction splited as a default behaviour, I do
not need that anymore indeed.

> Why do you have to chage the "meal" category split to 0?  You can just
> change it directly to the correct amount.  However, it you don't know it,
> then yes, changing to 0 to easily see the actual total less other fixed
> amount is probably the easiest way.

That's it : it calculates the "floating" amount for me with a 0 € value.

> Question for developers:  when importing uses a split transaction as the
> model, how does the actual transaction amount get used in assigning the
> amounts to the different splits.  It seems this might be something that can
> safely be changed, or (as a wishlist) be subject to some configuration
> setting.  (I have not had one of these in a while, so I don't remember the
> details.)

+1

> Hugo - if you have any specific suggestions on how to improve how all of
> this is described in the manual, please let me know (either private email
> or to the list) since I do most of the editing and updating of the manual.

Well, first of all thank you for what has allready been done !

As far as what has been discussed here, I think a screenshot of the last
tab of the "Payees" called "default transaction" should be welcome : here's
one attached (french version) that could come straight after this paragraph:
http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/extragear-office/kmymoney/details.payees.personalinformation.html#idp8345424

By the way, it is simple to understand it's global use, but an explanation
about KMM's behaviour regarding splited transaction would have been usefull
to me : something like "Do not check this box if you expect KMM to copy
previous splited transactions".

And if you have an idea about what Koos was meaning about "templated
transaction" that could be linked to what has been discussed here, It
sounds like it could be of interest to me. Unfortunatly, the only occurence
I found was about GNUcash importing, which is not my concern :
http://kmymoney2.sourceforge.net/online-manual/details.impexp.html

Scheduled Transactions
> KMyMoney does not retain the separation made in GnuCash between *template
> transactions* and their frequency of occurrence. Transaction data will be
> duplicated if the same template is used in different schedules, but this is
> not likely to be of great significance

Hugo