[Kmymoney] new users potentially

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Tue Feb 26 11:45:11 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Volker Paul <volker.paul at v-paul.de> wrote:
> Hi,

> Please be aware that KMyMoney might lack functionality that businesses need,
> especially tax-related. KMyMoney mainly aims at private acounting.
> It is a Personal Finance Manager.

That entirely depends on the accounts you create, it is perfectly
suitable for small businesses, I used it for ages for my translation
business when I was still in Switzerland.

There are already a lot of existing account schemes, and it is quite
easy to adapt existing ones to your needs.

>> - I found that in certain locations the Unicode does not show properly
>> like it used to, just boxes; while in other parts of the program it
>> still shows correctly. This is about a not-latest version, but is under
>> my Linux-dual boot, so if you want, I can give you more details later.
>>
>> Just please ensure us that you will fully be Unicode ready in all parts
>> of the program (as long as the OS has got the right fonts of course,
>> which is sure does).
>
> From my experience KMyMoney supports Unicode.
> Just make sure the fonts are installed.
> But Open Source software usually comes without any warranties.
> The software itself usually works well, but there are many things to set up,
> and it's up to you as a system administrator to ensure that
> your installation also works.

Make sure you have your system only using unicode then it should just
work. You should avoid iso formatting as that system is definitely
obsolete, and Free Software has been using Unicode as default since
quite some time now, when other operating systems still sued ISO.
The only problematic things are some Microsoft-encoded text's or file
names, as they even managed to screw up ISO encoding, so importing
data from a Windows computer might cause some strange character
errors, easy to correct if Windows is set to Unicode before the
import.

Regards, Myriam
http://www.fsfe.org