[Kmymoney] yours re questions on KMM / Gnucash

Michael Berger idest at online.de
Mon Feb 25 13:21:55 UTC 2013

Dear Martin,*
*copy below link into your browser - maybe it can help in taking a
decision which system to use:

http://accounting-software.findthebest.com/compare/23-110/GnuCash-vs-KMyMoney

I**have been using at least half a dozen of accounting software and came
across KMM some 7 or 8 years ago. Since then I stick to it and do by no
means intend to switch back to any other application.
There are three reasons: the developers will not let you down (they
answer even the most silly questions) and secondly, KMM covers
everything for private use not only but also most of the features needed
small business although it does not claim to be made primarily for
business accounting. Thirdly, it is the most user-friendly accounting
application I have come across - a great advantage for non-professionals
and untrained beginners.

Having collected experience in training project counterparts in
developing countries myself over many years I reckon KMM to be most
suitable.

Other outstanding features: very good reporting, implementation of
categories, very easy multi-currencies handling among others.
I will not list here those missing features that are essential for big
companies and sophisticated accounting. You should read KMM's handbook
on this (if it comes with your distribution).
I imagine that cheque writing/issuing is common in your country - now
this is not supported.

I use KMM for both private and business accounting and involve six
different currencies.
Having Gnucash installed as well my definite choice is KMM.
However, every case is different and the best advice I can give is to
take your own decision by comparing both systems - no way out!

Too bad if your internet connection is slow and not reliable. Try to get
a DVD of openSuse 12.3 which will be out in a couple of days.

I am using KMM 4.6.3 under openSuse 12.2. with KDE 4.8.5. Yast offers me
to install KMM.
I am attaching a screen shot showing the vendor and distributor.

Another option is to use Ubuntu - there you can easily install KMM (no
need to dig for the right repository)

If you are German - Zaske sounds very much so - you may address me in
German if you wish using: Michael Berger <idest at online.de>

Good luck

**
Michael Berger, Dipl. Ing.