[Kmymoney] new users potentially

Volker Paul volker.paul at v-paul.de
Tue Feb 26 11:33:08 UTC 2013

Hi,

while I am not a member of the KMyMoney development team,
I have been using KMyMoney for years, contributed a minor
conversion program (PDF -> QIF) and might partly answer
some of your questions from my experiance with KMyMoney.

> we know your program for several years now. We are the guys who run the
> tiny book store in West Africa with two instances of Kmymoney: One for
> the money and one to keep (and protocol, for statistics) our book stock.
>
> We are about to launch a new accounting project - and for this one, we
> will train a number of young Africans. So we would prefer to use
> Kmymoney over GNUcash (which we also use for our personal accounting and
> for a small cooking-gas business).
Please be aware that KMyMoney might lack functionality that businesses need,
especially tax-related. KMyMoney mainly aims at private acounting.
It is a Personal Finance Manager.

> Please just assure us for the record that you are determined to support
> OpenSuse for the next few years (our project is planned and financed
> until 2016; but my personal hope is that the local team will keep it
> running).
I can't speak for OpenSuse but KMyMoney is supported by KUbuntu.
It is in the standard repository and can be installed with the standard
tools
(apt-get, synaptic).
> - Please give us an assurance (or something written) that OpenSuse also
> fully endorses Kmymoney and that we will be able to set up and keep
> running our accounting until 2016, if we do not radically change our
> 12.1 installations.
I'm afraid the KMyMoney team will not be able to make any assurances on
behalf
of OpenSuse.
> - I found that in certain locations the Unicode does not show properly
> like it used to, just boxes; while in other parts of the program it
> still shows correctly. This is about a not-latest version, but is under
> my Linux-dual boot, so if you want, I can give you more details later.
>
> Just please ensure us that you will fully be Unicode ready in all parts
> of the program (as long as the OS has got the right fonts of course,
> which is sure does).
 From my experience KMyMoney supports Unicode.
Just make sure the fonts are installed.
But Open Source software usually comes without any warranties.
The software itself usually works well, but there are many things to set up,
and it's up to you as a system administrator to ensure that
your installation also works.

Good luck,

Volker Paul