[Kmymoney] new users potentially

Zaske_Bassila Zaske_Bassila at sil.org
Mon Feb 25 10:15:18 UTC 2013

Dear team,

we know your program for several years now. We are the guys who run the
tiny book store in West Africa with two instances of Kmymoney: One for
the money and one to keep (and protocol, for statistics) our book stock.

We are about to launch a new accounting project - and for this one, we
will train a number of young Africans. So we would prefer to use
Kmymoney over GNUcash (which we also use for our personal accounting and
for a small cooking-gas business).

Since we are with an NGO and responsible towards our team and our
supporters, I feel obliged to study at least two options and make a
founded decision between Kmymoney and GNUcash. (Commercial options are
out, because of our budget but more importantly because of our
philosophy of openness and sustainability. Almost our whole office is
run under OpenSuse 12.1).

You can see one aspect of our work (and my face) here:
www.revue-gugu.org

These are my questions please:

- Because of our rather slow internet connection, I had major difficulty
installing a fitting Kmymoney for our OpenSuse 12.1. (We have made the
decision to run that Suse version as our own local LTS-version because
we do not have the capacity (nor internet) to keep updating constantly.)

Kmymoney is not part of the installation DVD (well, not everything can
be), but it was tricky to even find the right repository. Yast did not
offer it and I had to search on the suse website for some 1click
installation thingy.
	Seems your program is not in one of the "regular" repositories but
somewhere (to me) exotic under updates (where I had not guessed it would
be).

Please just assure us for the record that you are determined to support
OpenSuse for the next few years (our project is planned and financed
until 2016; but my personal hope is that the local team will keep it
running).

- Please give us an assurance (or something written) that OpenSuse also
fully endorses Kmymoney and that we will be able to set up and keep
running our accounting until 2016, if we do not radically change our
12.1 installations.

- I found that in certain locations the Unicode does not show properly
like it used to, just boxes; while in other parts of the program it
still shows correctly. This is about a not-latest version, but is under
my Linux-dual boot, so if you want, I can give you more details later.

Just please ensure us that you will fully be Unicode ready in all parts
of the program (as long as the OS has got the right fonts of course,
which is sure does).

Please do not see this as anything critical. Still we are running a
budget of several thousand Euro and need to be accountable for our
choices. We like your program a lot. And personally I would prefer your
look-and-feel for the training of our young people.

I also took the liberty this morning to add three press references to
your English wikipedia entry, to lighten the threat of doubtful
"notability", which is a bad joke.
	Those wiki guys are all nerds (sorry if you are among them). (They
boast that they want ALL words of the world in their wiktionaries; and
when I enter a good German word like "Anziehpuppe", they want proof...)

All for now. Please write us some re-assuring lines about your project
"for the record" and we will start our training as early as March.

greetings,

Martin Zaske