[Kmymoney] Adding a "loan" with 0% interest

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Tue Feb 12 06:21:54 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Monday 11 February 2013 19:53:29 Louis-Philippe Allard wrote:

> Hi all!
>
>    I have recently purchased a car and the contract I got was a monthly
> payment with no interests.  Obviously, the contract has a fixed duration
> and the payments are all the same except the last one which is a bit less
> (balloon payment).
>
>    This loan is for a car so unlike a mortgage, the money spent (the monthly
> payments) are NOT to be transferred to the asset (the car) because its not
> true the car will gain value over time (I wish!!!)...  SO basically, its
> like a rental (the way it mathematically works) in the sense that for a
> certain monthly amount, I keep using the car until the balance is $0.  Its
> also technically NOT a loan since I did not borrow money to buy it.
>
>    So what would be the best way to accurately represent this scenario in
> KMM??  I tried a load with the load wizard, entering a 0% interest rate,
> but KMM freaks out on the scheduled transaction created by the loan wizard
> and says:
>
>    "The transaction has a missing assignment of $99,568,234,215,235,214.22"
>
>    If anyone has a good idea how to model this, please share.  In the
> meantime, I am thinking about just a scheduled transaction with 60
> payments.

In case you don't want to create an asset account for the car, it's simply
n60expenses which you can represent with a category and a scheduled
transaction as you suggest.

>    That'd be simple enough.  Better??

I doubt that there is a better (easier) way to keep track of this.

'Knowing a computer language is neither a necessary nor a sufficient
condition to know how to construct a computer program' -- J.R. Tyrer