[Kmymoney] Adding a "loan" with 0% interest

Louis-Philippe Allard lp.allard.1 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 00:53:29 UTC 2013

Hi all!

   I have recently purchased a car and the contract I got was a monthly
payment with no interests.  Obviously, the contract has a fixed duration
and the payments are all the same except the last one which is a bit less
(balloon payment).

   This loan is for a car so unlike a mortgage, the money spent (the monthly
payments) are NOT to be transferred to the asset (the car) because its not
true the car will gain value over time (I wish!!!)...  SO basically, its
like a rental (the way it mathematically works) in the sense that for a
certain monthly amount, I keep using the car until the balance is $0.  Its
also technically NOT a loan since I did not borrow money to buy it.

   So what would be the best way to accurately represent this scenario in
KMM??  I tried a load with the load wizard, entering a 0% interest rate,
but KMM freaks out on the scheduled transaction created by the loan wizard
and says:

   "The transaction has a missing assignment of $99,568,234,215,235,214.22"

   If anyone has a good idea how to model this, please share.  In the
meantime, I am thinking about just a scheduled transaction with 60
payments.

   That'd be simple enough.  Better??
   Thanks!!

   Louis-Philippe Allard