[Kmymoney] Update prices in gnome fake alarm

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 6 20:22:03 UTC 2013

On 2013.12.06 15:02, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> On Friday 06 December 2013 17:52:45 Allan wrote:
> > On 06/12/13 15:02, Andy Chung wrote:

>>> I am running KMM in gnome.  When updating stock and currencies
>>> prices KMM always prompt "Updating Stock and Currencies prices is
>>> not responding".  However the prices are indeed updating
>>> correctly.  I have 21 prices for update and they could be updated
>>> in few seconds.

>>> Is there anyway to fix it?  I do not have such problem in KDE and
>>> windows.  Thank you.

>> Being pedantic, KMM doesn't run in Gnome.  It always requires KDE,
>> although your distro may be based on Gnome.

> Being even more pedantic: KMyMoney runs under Gnome given that a
> certain amount of KDE specific libraries is also available. KMyMoney
> might have a problem here and there if the KDE window manager is not
> present, but in general it works also in a Gnome environment.

>> What distro do you use, from where did you obtain the KMM you are
>> using, and what revision is it?  Was it obtained as a package from
>> your distro repositories, or built from source?
>> When you are updating prices, do you update them all at once, and if
>> so, presumably the wizard is open, so when does that message
>> appear?  Do you use a database backend, or .kmy file?

> All valid questions and I hope we can figure out why Andy is seeing
> these kind of problems once we have the answers.

To add to the questions, can you tell where the message is actually
coming from?  Is it a pop-up, and is there any hint whether it's really
from KMM or from some Gnome component?  How long after you start the
price update does the message appear?  (I'm wondering if some Gnome
component just has a shorter timeout than the KDE or Windows
equivalent.)