[Kmymoney] QIF file import

aga agander93 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 16:42:34 UTC 2013

On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 17:24:00 +0200
"L. Jacinto" <ljacinto at telkomsa.net> wrote:

> I Jack
>

> Ubuntu 12.04 precise
>

> I answer you on 10-August and apologise for this email if is to early
> but I want to try to explain.
>
> KMM 4.8.5

This is the KDE version, not the KMyMoney version, which you can get
from Help/About KMM.

>  you ask to send qif file I don't have nothing in Ubuntu can
> read this file if you kind explain how to read it.

I would definitely start with just your distro's KMM version, not PPA
unless you are expert in compiling, and not the bz2 file, which
requires compilation and numerous dependencies.

A QIF file is just a text file in a particular format, so gedit will
read it and can edit it.

Depending on your file content, there may be a number of different
sections, for accounts, categories, etc.  When you exported from
Moneydance, did you export just one account, or several?  If you are
still able, it might be easier to start with just a single account, and
with a limited date range.

If you open it in gedit, you should see something resembling this (a
bank checking statement) -
"
!Type:Bank
D28-04-08
PTRANSFER 50152218
T463.14
^
D28-04-08
PNET INTEREST       TO 27APR2008
T42.48
^
D28-03-08
PTRANSFER 50152218
T611.85
^
D28-03-08
PNET INTEREST       TO 27MAR2008
T38.89
^
D28-02-08
PTRANSFER 50152218
T1736.13
^
D28-02-08
PNET INTEREST       TO 27FEB2008
T39.96
^
"
!Type:Bank indicates the account type, 'D' on the next line signifies
a date, and doesn't need to be edited. Then 'P' is for payee name, and
can be any alphanumeric characters, 'T' is the total value.

When editing, don't touch lines starting with '!'. The '^' marks the
end of the transaction/item.

First, try to import a very short, simple file, and see how that goes.
Report back on any console output.

> Following your advice download Kmymoney -- 4.6.3.tar.bz2 I download
> from your web site, reading the installation I having a problem to
> understand line 4.
>
> $ mkdir build
> $ cd build
> $ cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/
> $ make # This step may be needed twice
> $ make install
>
> It is important that the prefix is the same one that is used by your
> already installed KDE software. If it does not match, you will run
> into problems later. *(The last step should be executed with admin
> privileges. Either switch to root or use sudo, or the appropriate
> steps for your installation*
>
> "*prefix is the same one that is used by your already installed KDE
> software."*
>
> Should I write all the line but change the prefix? Mine is Kde4 in
> user/share
>
> *$ cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_Kde4=/usr/share.*
>
> Ubuntu advise me to install the ppa version, I don't like ppa version
> I tried but will prefer to have the one from your web site and still
> dint import qif files successfully. Sorry for this be so big, but I
> need KMM very badly and of course to import my Moneydance qif files
> successfully to start with it. Please help me until this archived and
> thank you.

Stick with it and we'll get you there.

Allan