[Kmymoney] internal transactions show up twice

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 8 16:21:52 UTC 2013

On 2013.08.07 16:11, hugo borrell wrote:
> I'm messing around each time I make internal transactions : KMM
> imports 2 different transactions in the 2 different accounts.
>
> I guess this comes from the fact that when I order the transaction, I
> can choose to set different comments on the 2 accounts : for eg. I
> write "comes from check account" on my savings account, and "goes to
> savings account" on my check account. This way, I know that this is
> the same transaction but KMM doesn't.
>
> I guess that if I set the same comment, like "internal operation" on
> both sides, KMM might get a chance to detect a correspondance, but
> I'm than fooled by an automatic comment from the bank that adds "VIR"
> on the destination account.
>
> The more upsetting about this is that I can't set a correspondance
> manually, as explained here :
>
> http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/extragear-office/kmymoney/details.ledgers.match.html
>
> "The matching interface will not allow you to match two transactions
> which have both been imported"
>
> OK, so what can I do from there ? Deleting the operation is not a
> solution, as explained in documentation :
>
> "Specifically with OFX or HBCI, it is important not to delete the
> imported transaction, because you will find that the next time you
> import your transactions, the deleted transaction shows up again."
>
> Can someone tell me what should be the good practice, from
> transaction order to KMM importation ?

I think I used to have a similar issue - online payments to my credit
card from my checking account get imported to both - and I'm pretty
sure the second one to import matched the one that's already there.
However, I can't confirm this now, since I've been manually entering my
checking transactions for a while.

In terms of deleting the transactions, the warning just means that if a
later download includes a transaction you have deleted, it will be
imported again.  Depending on how you download, this may not be a
problem.  For example, if you manually download once per month only
those transactions from that month, then there should be no repeat
transactions.  For OFX direct connect, I see a repeat of transaction on
the date of the last download, but not earlier.  However, I have my
account set to only download transactions since the previous download.
If you have it set for something like 30 days, then a single
transaction is likely to be downloaded multiple times.

I'll make a note to myself to expand that section of the manual.