[Kmymoney] CSV import with multiple currencies

aga agander93 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 17:47:06 UTC 2013

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 17:52:54 +0100
Atish Nazir <gomi at littleworld.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I've decided to track my PayPal account with KMyMoney in addition to
> my more conventional current, credit and savings accounts.
>
> I'm modelling the PayPal account as an asset account in GBP and
> importing historical data with the CSV importer (v4.6.1).  The gotcha
> is that the CSV file contains withdrawals in multiple currencies, USD
> and EUR.  Helpfully the CSV contains the conversion rate to GBP.
>
> Here's a sample of my PayPal CSV:
>
> Date, Time, Time Zone, Name, Type, Status, Currency, Amount, Receipt
> ID, Balance,
>
> 20/04/2013,15:25:12,BST,Ransomes Sunblinds Ltd,PayPal Express
> Checkout Payment Sent,Scheduled for 4 May 2013,GBP,-3.25,,0,
>
> 20/04/2013,14:32:53,BST,Spotify Finance Ltd,Pre-approved Payment
> Sent,Completed,GBP,-9.99,,0,
>
> 20/04/2013,14:32:53,BST,Bank Account,Add Funds from a Bank
> Account,Completed,GBP,9.99,,9.99,
>
> I'm trying to figure out a number of things:
>
>   * Can I configure the asset account to represent multiple
> currencies?
>   * Is there a way to tweak the CSV importer to use the currency
>     specified in the Currency column?
>   * Are there other ways to import from PayPal?  QIF seems to truncate
>     after a few transactions on my account (looks like a bug with
>     escaping quotes) and I've raised an issue with PayPal about this.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Firstly, congratulations to PayPal for another first.  Usually, there
are about a hundred columns.

Your transactions show GBP as the currency.  Do I take it, then, that
your base currency is other that GBP?

The CSV importer grew from the QIF importer, which has no currency
capability, so, unfortunately, presently neither has the CSV importer.

I will try to have a look at this, but no promises.  The UI for
investments is already pretty full, but the checking one could be OK.
The snag is, that if I were to do this for checking, what's the betting
that someone else will want it for investments?

Allan