[Kmymoney] grouping old payees

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sat May 19 07:32:09 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Saturday 19 May 2012 08:38:13 Hugo Borrell wrote in a private mail
containing the OFX data:

> This is OFX import. See sample attached : money from one account dispatched
> to 4 different other accounts on 1/04/2012.

I expect you see the information found in the <NAME> elements in KMyMoney. The
OFX spec states:

  <NAME> Name of payee or description of transaction, A-32

where A-32 means a character field of 32 characters (not bytes).

In fact, it would allow not only the name but also a description of the
transaction (which seems to happen in your case). But there is no indication
if its used for a name or a description.

What would be the algorithm for KMyMoney to detect the usage? An option on a
per file basis is not feasible as the field could be used in different ways in
the same file. I am not sure if an option per account would work, as you could
also imagine two transactions in the same account in the same statement where
this field is used in both ways.

So I don't really have a clue what to do. Any additional ideas?

If you've got friends that have you thrown out of a plane in mid-air,
you don't need enemies.
(Sebas Kügler on http://vizzzion.org/blog/2010/06/jumped/)