[Kmymoney] Transfers between expense accounts?

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Mon Mar 12 06:24:39 UTC 2012

On Sunday 11 March 2012 18:36:17 Mike wrote:
> I'm wondering if its possible to transfer between expense accounts?
>
> One of the scenarios I'm trying to deal with is a mortgage, where I have
> 52 transactions a year for a specific amount, then at the end of the
> year I get a statement from the mortgage company detailing the mortgage
> interest and principle that was paid. So right now I have each mortgage
> payment going from my "Savings Account" to a "Mortgage" expense account,
> then at the end of the year I would like to enter a single transaction
> to transfer from the "Mortgage" expense account just the interest
> portion to a separate "Mortgage Interest" account.

One way out of this is to make the mortgage expense account a liability and
keep an asset account for the property on the 'other' side. In the beginning
of the mortgage this should somehow balance. There must be numerous examples
in the KMyMoney archives how this is setup.

Having this account setup (a checking account C, a mortgage liability M, and
an interest expense I) I would transfer 52 payments from C to M and then, once
you know the exact amount of the interest part, enter a single transaction
from M to I.

> KMM doesn't seem to allow this (at least it won't let me create new
> transactions from an expense account), and I know I could split each of
> the 52 transactions throughout the year and put part of each payment in
> the "Mortgage" and "Mortgage Interest" accounts, but I don't know what
> those amounts are until the end of the year, and it doesn't make sense
> to split 52 separate entries when a single entry would do just fine and
> would be much easier.

Yes, we don't allow the transfer between categories (though they are simple
accounts in the end) for a reason I don't remember. This has been introduced a
long time ago.

> Any insight into how to best handle this scenario would be great? I have
> a few other similar cases I would like to handle this way as well.

Please see above.

> PS. I'm currently using KMyMoney 4.6.1.

To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it;
to mess up your Windows box, you just need to work on it.
Scott Granneman, Security Focus