[Kmymoney] Credit card usage

Jack Ostroff ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 23 17:58:46 UTC 2012

OK.  At least I think now the problem has been more completely stated.
The issue is that you want your available balance on a credit card to
decrease by more than has actually been charged to the card so far.  I
don't think there is any way for "proper" bookkeeping to do this, but
I'll offer some possible ideas, although I'm not sure they will
actually help in the short run.

Normally, I think of using a schedule to set up recurring payments, but
it can also do recurring bills.  The issue is that I'm not sure how far
ahead you can see the effects of a schedule.  You can probably get
further into the future with one of the reports, but that's not an easy
way to see if you are going to hit your limit.  Let us know if you get
this to do what you want.

You could just enter the entire charge to the card, which will give you
an accurate available balance, but then the balance will not actually
match any statements or on-line balances you get until the entire
amount has been charged.

Actually, credit cards already do something like this - putting a
"hold" on an amount.  For example, when you check into a hotel, they
frequently swipe your card and put a hold on the amount they estimate
your bill will be when you leave.  When you check out, they release the
hold, and submit the actual charge.  I have no idea whether your card
has done something like this or not for your recurring charge.
Unfortunately, I don't think this approach can help you now.  First, I
don't know if credit cards ever make these holds visible, either on a
statement or on-line access.  Second, KMM doesn't know anything about
this, although I suppose it could be logged as a wish-list.

I don't think any single approach will always work.  Let's say you know
there will be a $100 charge on your card each month for the next six
months.  Deducting the entire $600 from your available balance is
extremely conservative, particularly if you expect to pay off $100 each
month also.  If your credit limit were $500, would you be allowed to do
this?  You would not actually be over limit unless you failed to pay
the first five months.

Well, lot's to think about, at least.

Jack