[Kmymoney] Exporting in one QIF

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sat Jan 21 09:14:42 UTC 2012

Hi,

on Wednesday 11 January 2012 13:31:26 Artem Skvira wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to export transactions from KMyMoney so I can import them into
> MoneyDance.
>
> I have few years worth of transactions for a number of accounts (~15
> accounts).
>
> Currently KMyMoney seems to offer only per-account export option, which
> creates a lot of duplication - say if you have a transaction containing a
> split, the information about the split and all participating entries will
> be recorded in all accounts involved in the transaction.

... and I would expect to encounter the same problem even if more accounts are
in the same file. I could think of an option that would drop each transaction
only once into the file, but the nature of the beast (QIF format) still needs
different entries for investment transactions (AFAIK).  So it's not something
you just jot down and it works.

> That creates a lot of duplicate transactions when importing into
> MoneyDance. I do realise, however, this may be due to the broken import
> procedure in MoneyDance itself.

KMyMoney has the same problem and solves it with a more or less intelligent
transaction matcher during import.

> Yet I still have a problem and I need to solve it - I would appreciate any
> advice you guys could provide!

One way you could go is to convert the transactions in a KMyMoney data file
(which is a gzipped XML formatted file) into QIF using a script language of
your choice. I know that this requires some programming expertise on your end.

The other advice I can give is to ask the MoneyDance folks/community for
support.

Hope that helps to get started. One thing we're interested in is the reason
why you're moving away from KMyMoney and want to use Moneydance. What is it
that is missing in KMyMoney?

Computers let you make more mistakes faster than any other
invention in human history, with the possible exception
of handguns and tequila. --Mitch Radcliffe