[Kmymoney] Monthly vs. yearly in budgets

Jim MacLeod trym.side at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Feb 2 18:22:01 UTC 2012

On Thursday 02 Feb 2012 20:00:52 Mikael =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Kujanp=E4=E4?= wrote:
> Hi! Could someone light what's the difference between using monthly or
> yearly field when creating budget? The only difference I have noticed is
> the amount that is entered, but in both cases it is used as equal
> monthly amounts.
<snip>
>         Used  Budgeted
> Games   50      500
>
> Then, in February I use 80 euros. In this point I think the budget
> report should say for February:
>
>         Used  Budgeted
> Games   80      450
>
> In the beginning of the March the month report should look like:
>
>         Used  Budgeted
> Games    0      370
>
> The yearly report should look like this, after February:
>
>         Used  Budgeted
> Games  130      500
>
> What do you think, would this kind of usage make sense, or am I
> thinking the budgets somehow wrong way?

I think the crucial word here is 'report' - ie it is not dynamic so just
displays sets of figures but does no calculations on them.

Ideally what you are looking for is a budget spreadsheet; when you enter the
spending for Jan it would deduct it from the Annual total and show the result
as available for Feb etc.

My 2p's worth
Jim