[Kmymoney] Monthly vs. yearly in budgets

Mikael Kujanpää mahead80 at nic.fi
Thu Feb 2 18:00:52 UTC 2012

Hi! Could someone light what's the difference between using monthly or
yearly field when creating budget? The only difference I have noticed is
the amount that is entered, but in both cases it is used as equal
monthly amounts.

I created my first budget month ago. I based it on the old transactions
by looking couple of years back, and then decided if I can budget some
amount by monthly basis or by yearly. For example, the money I spend to
rent is always same per month, so I can budget that amount by monthly.
Then there are some other categories that I know I will use some amount
per year, but I don't know exact months when that will happen. So I
thought I can use the yearly field for those kind of categories.

Unfortunately that didn't help, since the yearly amount is shared
equally to all months, and it makes using budget reports quite
difficult. Some fields are red because I have exceed the shared amount,
while I know I'm well in budget in real life. Then there are some other
fields with zero euros used, since I will spent money on them in coming
months. But these categories are still calculated to budgeted monthly
total, so therefore it looks like I have spent much less than I have
budgeted.

This, combined to the fact that transfers between accounts can't be
traced in budgets (the liability problem that was asked in previous
case), makes using the budget reports quite difficult. The total sum I
got for the month isn't usable until I have deducted the loan payments
and those categories that are budgeted by yearly basis but that weren't
used in this month.

I was wondering if the yearly amounts could be used in budget reports
so that the monthly available sum is the sum that was budgeted deducted
with sum that has been already used in previous months?

For example. Let's assume I have category for computer games, with
budgeted yearly amount of 500 euros. Let's assume I spent 50 euros in
January, so I would have budget report that says for January:

        Used  Budgeted
Games   50      500

Then, in February I use 80 euros. In this point I think the budget
report should say for February:

        Used  Budgeted
Games   80      450

In the beginning of the March the month report should look like:

        Used  Budgeted
Games    0      370

The yearly report should look like this, after February:

        Used  Budgeted
Games  130      500

What do you think, would this kind of usage make sense, or am I
thinking the budgets somehow wrong way?

--
Mikki