[Kmymoney] KBanking plugin transaction dates

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 5 21:53:06 UTC 2012

On 2012.08.05 18:35, Allan wrote:
> On 05/08/12 20:58, Rob Tongue wrote:
>> On 08/05/2012 08:55 AM, Jack wrote:
>>> I have the same issue.  For credit cards, the bank uses the posted
>>> date, not the actual transaction date.  I prefer the transaction
>>> date,
>>> so I know when I actually purchased something or ate the meal.  For
>>> checking account, I want the ledger to have when I wrote the check,
>>> not when it cleared the bank.  I suppose it would be an enhancement
>>> request (low priority) to actually keep both dates - original
>>> transaction date and institution cleared/posted date.
>>>
>>> Jack
>> Jack, I agree. Maybe put the date the bank gives in the comment
>> section
>> of the transaction and keep the manually entered date?
>
> To some extent, this is actually a more general issue than just
> KBanking.
>
> A similar situation arises with many transactions.  For instance, you
> mey have a scheduled transaction that gets entered on one date, but
> the QIF/CSV imported date is different.  A while ago, someone was
> actually dealing with it, or thinking of, having another virtual
> account, acting as an intermediary account, enabling both dates to be
> kept.
>
> Allan
Yes - this affects any import where you match a transaction entered
manually or by a schedule.  I'm not sure I understand why a virtual
account would help.  In the long run (which would require a
modification to the underlying transaction object) KMM could keep both
dates.  In the short run (just a modification to the matching code, but
beyond what I could do) if the two dates were different, the one not
used could be added to the memo.  A bit better would be to add a
configuration item (or even just a pop-up on import) asking which date
to keep.  I suppose I'll think about writing it up as an enhancement
request.