[Kmymoney] Re: Report of items with no category - is there a bug in transaction reports?

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 21 22:21:41 CET 2011

On 2011.02.21 01:59, Michael Berger wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
> sorry I was not aware that those transactions without a category
> resulted from bank imports into KMM and that's why I assumed you had
> added them manually without assigning categories.
>
> Now, as the situation is I cannot suggest anything to you for I have
> almost no experience on (deficient) transaction imports. Hopefully
> somebody else from the user community can assist you.
>
> However, I feel that KMM may have no tool to patch something that is
> simply not contained in the imported information.

This has been bothering me, so I finally went looking myself, and I
wonder if I have found a bug in the report tool.

First, note that if you do "find transactions," and on the details tab,
set validity to Invalid transaction, it will produce a list of invalid
transactions, which includes those without a category.  (I know this
doesn't help Andrew, since there is no easy way to print this list.)

In contrast, if you go to the reports page, select any transaction
report, and on the details tab, selected "Invalid transaction," the
report comes up empty.  What bothers me here is that if I go back to
the configuration/details tab, it shows no current selections for
filters.  (For some reports, it defaults to a date selection of the
past month, but whether I leave this or change it to "all dates," it
never seems to remember the Details selection.)

It seems that this report (or some variant) should show all invalid
transactions - but the invalid filter seems not to get applied or
remembered as a setting.

However, I seem to have found an even stranger behavior.  (Note that to
test, I created a transaction for today for $10 without a category.) If
I select the transactions by account report, and set it year to date,
it shows all transactions this year for all accounts, EXCEPT the
invalid one, although the closing balance for that account correctly
includes the $10 spent.  If I then change the configuration to include
the details of "Invalid transaction" and rerun the report - it shows NO
transactions, but it DOES list the account which holds the invalid
transaction.  If I then  click on "Configure" again, it has forgotten
the detail filter.  In addition, if I move the date of the invalid
transaction earlier, then the balances listed for transaction after the
invalid on are incorrect, not having deducted the $10, although the
closing balance of the account shown in the report HAS deducted that
amount.

Very strange.

This is with KMM 4.5.3 on KDE 4.4.5 on Gentoo Linux.