[Kmymoney] Investment accounts

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 30 00:55:54 UTC 2011

On 2011.08.29 20:29, Konstantin Svist wrote:
> On 08/29/2011 03:53 AM, aga wrote:
>> OK, I've added fees for Dividend payments.  However, just to be
>> clear, when you say "Schwab shows them as separate transactions",
>> are you saying there are two transactions, one for the dividend
>> payment in full, and a separate one for the fee?  If the latter,
>> then strictly speaking, the fee transaction is not a dividend
>> payment, so was there then a problem with this?  If so what, exactly?
>
> Yes, OFX shows 3 transactions. Maybe my biggest problem was not
> having the KMM accounts set up correctly, but the problem was that
> the fees showed up in the investment account as "buy shares" with
> weird values.
This is indeed strange - see more comment below.

> If I understand correctly, the standard "fees" are filled up when my
> broker (Schwab) charges me fees - but in this case the fee was
> charged by someone down the line (ADR) so they show it to me as
> separate transactions. Ideally, I'd want all of these to be merged
> into a single transaction in KMM (which I did manually while fixing
> my old data).
See below, but KMM only knows what is in the downloaded transactions.
It has no idea of what they are supposed to represent.

> I wanted to create a dummy Investment+Brokerage account to see if it
> works properly together with OFX, but I couldn't associate the online
> account with it for some reason - it just keeps saying "no suitable
> accounts found"
If you are trying to map the same Schwab account to a new KMM account,
KMM knows the account is already mapped, and will not map it to another
account.  You might want to create a whole separate .kmy file for this
testing.

In my opinion, you have a problem with OFX and Schwab, not with KMM
(although there may yet be a way for KMM to help with the problem.)

This shows (at least to me) one major issue with OFX.  There may be
standards for construction of the actual OFX messages, but there is
apparently some "flexibility" in how they are used.  For example, I
personally expect a dividend reinvestment to be a single transaction,
but Merrill Lynch does it as three: a dividend, a share purchase, and a
dividend reinvestment.

In your case, Schwab apparently considers one or both of the fees to be
a separate transaction, and not actually a part of the dividend
transaction.  I don't think there is any realistic way KMM can (or
should) merge them back to a single transaction.

In addition, depending on how the transaction for the fee is written,
if it does not reference the security, then KMM can't  import it (via
OFX) into the investment account, so using the CSV importer is probably
the best approach for now.

However, depending on what is in that transaction, it is still possible
the KMM is not doing the right thing with it.  You know the transaction
represents a fee - but that may or may not be what the transaction type
indicates.  The only way we can tell is if you submit a copy of the OFX
transaction(s) (with sensitive data altered as necessary).