[Kmymoney] Investment accounts

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 01:22:12 UTC 2011

On 08/29/2011 05:55 PM, Jack wrote:
>> If I understand correctly, the standard "fees" are filled up when my
>> broker (Schwab) charges me fees - but in this case the fee was
>> charged by someone down the line (ADR) so they show it to me as
>> separate transactions. Ideally, I'd want all of these to be merged
>> into a single transaction in KMM (which I did manually while fixing
>> my old data).
> See below, but KMM only knows what is in the downloaded transactions.
> It has no idea of what they are supposed to represent.

In this case, they have near-identical description/memo, you'll see it
in the OFX dump.

>> I wanted to create a dummy Investment+Brokerage account to see if it
>> works properly together with OFX, but I couldn't associate the online
>> account with it for some reason - it just keeps saying "no suitable
>> accounts found"
> If you are trying to map the same Schwab account to a new KMM account,
> KMM knows the account is already mapped, and will not map it to
> another account.  You might want to create a whole separate .kmy file
> for this testing.

I did this time and keep getting the same errors: "Connection to host
ofx.schwab.com is broken." and "No suitable accounts were found at this
bank." The original account update works okay.

> In my opinion, you have a problem with OFX and Schwab, not with KMM
> (although there may yet be a way for KMM to help with the problem.)
>
> This shows (at least to me) one major issue with OFX.  There may be
> standards for construction of the actual OFX messages, but there is
> apparently some "flexibility" in how they are used.  For example, I
> personally expect a dividend reinvestment to be a single transaction,
> but Merrill Lynch does it as three: a dividend, a share purchase, and
> a dividend reinvestment.
>
> In your case, Schwab apparently considers one or both of the fees to
> be a separate transaction, and not actually a part of the dividend
> transaction.  I don't think there is any realistic way KMM can (or
> should) merge them back to a single transaction.
>
> In addition, depending on how the transaction for the fee is written,
> if it does not reference the security, then KMM can't  import it (via
> OFX) into the investment account, so using the CSV importer is
> probably the best approach for now.
>
> However, depending on what is in that transaction, it is still
> possible the KMM is not doing the right thing with it.  You know the
> transaction represents a fee - but that may or may not be what the
> transaction type indicates.  The only way we can tell is if you submit
> a copy of the OFX transaction(s) (with sensitive data altered as
> necessary).

Is there a quick'n'dirty howto (or maybe even a tool) to get anonymized
OFX dump? Otherwise, I'll have to "touch ofxlog.txt" and then edit out
the stuff.

Just now did an update on the account (after cleanup) and now those fee
transactions showed up in the Brokerage account. Problem is, they're
filed as Transfer and there are no clues as to which fee each one might
represent - not even in the comment. They have the security info, though.