[Kmymoney] Investment accounts

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 26 23:13:21 UTC 2011

On 2011.08.26 18:29, Konstantin Svist wrote:
> It's been >4 months and still no reply to my original request. Do KMM
> developers read this ML?
Yes, many of them they do.

> I just tried 4.6.0 and have seen no improvement in handling
> investment accounts. E.g. there's still no way to enter something as
> simple as dividend fees...
It's actually not as simple as it may seem.  However, I'm not sure what
you mean here.   I don't have fees on my dividends, so I have not had
to do this, but I don't see why it can't be done.  Do you really mean
you can't enter the fees, or they don't seem to be handled correctly
when imported by OFX direct connect?  If it's the latter, read below.
If it's the former, please describe in more detail what you tried.

> Signing up for -developers ML appears restricted & there has been no
> reaction of any kind to bug filed on SourceForge tracker.
I know of no restrictions for joining the devel list:
will get you any better answers.  The main difference is that the
answers in this list focus on helping users get their problems solved
and that list gets into more details related to the inner workings of
the program.  The sourceforge bug tracker is for KDE1.x and although no
timetable has been decided, it is likely that no further development
will happen there.  Bugs on the 4.x versions are tracked at
bugs.kde.org.

> The only remaining option seems to be to edit the code myself...
> which of course would only benefit me and nobody else.
Not necessarily.  If you actually fix a bug, or add an enhanced
feature, then the developers are likely to accept a patch, and I think
they would definitely be interested in at least looking at the code.

> *sigh*
One other question - have you tried entering these transactions
manually, just to see that KMM is capable of representing them the way
you want?  Downloading via OFX is known to have lots of problems.
Although OFX is an open standard, there are multiple interpretations,
and there have actually been multiple discussions of this on the -devel
list, so you might want to review the archives.

One major issue (and it is not just with Schwab) is that they do not
actually separate what KMM tracks separately as investment and
brokerage accounts.  If you download the transactions into the
investment account, those that really belong in the brokerage account
will probably not be handled correctly.  In the future, it might be
possible to move these transactions to the brokerage account, but it
cannot be done now.  One approach that has been suggested is to create
a security with value $1.00 for the cash part of the account.  I have
been planning to try this, but have not yet had the time.

There is also another thing you could try in the meantime.  You could
download the transactions, and import the files.  You can try OFX, QIF,
and CSV.  OFX will probably do the same as the direct connect.  QIF is
not generally desirable, but might behave differently here.  Allan has
responded separately about trying the CSV importer (new in 4.6) and
that approach CAN get the transactions into both the investment and
brokerage accounts.