[Kmymoney] KMyMoney 4.6 on Ubuntu

aga agander93 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 22:15:44 UTC 2011

Hi Niranjan

I'll throw in my tuppence-worth below.

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 14:15:35 -0700
Niranjan Rao <nhrdls at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Relatively new user of ubntu so don't understand all the nuts and
> bolts of the mechanism. I wanted to try out kmymoney on ubuntu 11.04.
> I installed kmymoney follwoing instructions at
>
> https://launchpad.net/~claydoh/+archive/kmymoney2-kde4
> <https://launchpad.net/%7Eclaydoh/+archive/kmymoney2-kde4>
>
> I have some questions about this installation.
>
> 1. I read some documents about using trusted distribution etc. Is
> this one of those trusted distribution?

Well, there's trusted, and there are trusted.  I think in the context
you used, my understanding is that this involves the site having a
certificate giving the user the choice of accepting or rejecting the
access.  I suspect this is not the case here, but others may differ.
Claydoh himself is a moderator on Ubuntu forums so to that extent at
least, is trusted.  He's been providing KMM packages for some while now.

> 2. When ubntu adds 4.6 to their repository, what happens to my
> existing distribution? Do I still get updates from ubuntu
> distribution whenever they update or I need uninstall and then
> install from ubuntu software center.

Nothing should happen unless you make it happen.  You can ignore the
'official' releases and continue using Claydoh's.  His will tend to be
more up-to-date than the official ones.

> 3. I tried installing kmymoney on two machines - both running same
> 11.04 and same level of updates. On one machine, everything is ok, on
> the other machine "dash" crashes or does not respond if kmymoney is
> running. I have to restart unity even to get Alt-Tab working.
> Fortunately, I know about moving terminal using Ctrl-Alt -F2 etc.
> Kmymoney itself works fine. Have not tried if things correct itself
> after quitting kmymoney.

I've no first-hand experience of Unity, but have noticed in the last
few days that some KMM users were reverting to 'classic' ui.

> 4. I tried downloading transactions from my credit card provider
> using ofx, it worked fine, but minor issue in ui. There is mouseover
> on exclamation mark that says this is uncategorised transaction. This
> is barely readable - most of the times I just see black rectangle and
> had to tilt my monitor and really squint to figure out what the
> message is.

Is this with Unity, too, I assume?  What about with the classic
interface?

> 5. I could not make wells fargo work with web connector. Even tried
> corrected url from ofxhome web site. Is anyone else using wellsfargo
> to automatically download the transactions. Error message I get is
> signon failed. If it does not work, I can always download
> transactions from bank and import it. Is there anyway to automate
> this?
>
> Apart from this, my experience of one day has been great so far. I am
> still learning how to use it effectively.

I've been using it for a few years and am still finding features I was
unaware of.

> Thanks for the help.
>
> - Niranjan

Allan