[Kmymoney] KMyMoney 4.6 on Ubuntu

Niranjan Rao nhrdls at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 21:15:35 UTC 2011

Hi there,

Relatively new user of ubntu so don't understand all the nuts and bolts
of the mechanism. I wanted to try out kmymoney on ubuntu 11.04. I
installed kmymoney follwoing instructions at

https://launchpad.net/~claydoh/+archive/kmymoney2-kde4  <https://launchpad.net/%7Eclaydoh/+archive/kmymoney2-kde4>

I have some questions about this installation.

1. I read some documents about using trusted distribution etc. Is this
one of those trusted distribution?

2. When ubntu adds 4.6 to their repository, what happens to my existing
distribution? Do I still get updates from ubuntu distribution whenever
they update or I need uninstall and then install from ubuntu software
center.

3. I tried installing kmymoney on two machines - both running same 11.04
and same level of updates. On one machine, everything is ok, on the
other machine "dash" crashes or does not respond if kmymoney is running.
I have to restart unity even to get Alt-Tab working. Fortunately, I know
about moving terminal using Ctrl-Alt -F2 etc. Kmymoney itself works
fine. Have not tried if things correct itself after quitting kmymoney.

4. I tried downloading transactions from my credit card provider using
ofx, it worked fine, but minor issue in ui. There is mouseover on
exclamation mark that says this is uncategorised transaction. This is
barely readable - most of the times I just see black rectangle and had
to tilt my monitor and really squint to figure out what the message is.

5. I could not make wells fargo work with web connector. Even tried
corrected url from ofxhome web site. Is anyone else using wellsfargo to
automatically download the transactions. Error message I get is signon
failed. If it does not work, I can always download transactions from
bank and import it. Is there anyway to automate this?

Apart from this, my experience of one day has been great so far. I am
still learning how to use it effectively.

Thanks for the help.

- Niranjan