[Kmymoney] KMM misbehaves after trying to install qif

Gary Kirkpatrick pegngary at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 13:50:23 UTC 2011

> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 10:40:53 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: Re: [Kmymoney] KMM misbehaves after trying to install qif
>
> I am running Ubuntu Natty.  The text editor opens the qif (from quicken
> 2010)
> but only shows code.  Version 4.5.3 of KMM.
>

> gary
> -------------------------------
> QIF is a text format, so if by code, you mean binary stuff, then it's not a
> QIF
> file.  Try the command line "file data.qif" where data.qif is the name of
> the
> qif file you are working with.  Are you sure you have a qif file exported
> from
> quicken, and not a native quicken data file?
>
> Jack

Jack

Jack, reading in Quicken 10 help it does not say it can export a qif file in
a format that other money programs can read.  You can export reports that
can be read by spread sheet programs and even word processing programs but
not transactions.

The output of  file date.qif is :  ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators.
 So I tried opening with text ed again and it opened this time.  Just a long
document in one column.  Progress?

gary