[Kmymoney] Last little Feedback QIF MsMoney to KMM migration

aga agander93 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 10:02:13 UTC 2011

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 15:33:53 +1000
Peter <cave at tpg.com.au> wrote:

> Hello All
>
> Just to say that using the technique mentioned earlier all my credit
> card accounts imported 100% correctly.
>
> All bank accounts imported 100% correctly without file modification.
>
> All categories were 100% correct.
>
> Reports work correctly after ticking the right boxes
>
> I did not experience any hiccups or glitches - what more can a person
> ask for!
>
> Needless to say I am over the moon with the results - coming from well
> behind the 8 ball to so far out in front in such a short time - just
> fantastic.

Another happy customer, then!

> As to a manual update or FAQ for earlier versions - yes I would
> definitely make mention somewhere in a "How to import MsMoney QIF" for
> earlier versions of KMM as there will undoubtedly be quite a number of
> people using earlier Linux versions for which the respective
> repository uses an earlier version of KMM.
>
> Had there been such a thing I would not have had to come asking and
> assuming I had done something wrong or it was one of those things that
> just doesn't work anyway thereby denigrating a great program (KMM).
>
> You see it took me a number of years (since Mint 8) to get to the
> point of asking for help.
>
> Even at this point in time the latest version of KMM is not included
> in the repositories for Mint (and maybe other flavours of Linux) so
> that current users will still face the problem.
>
> As an aside - I have just downloaded the latest version of Claws from
> the Ubuntu ppa for use on Mint 11 so I was wondering if there is
> another ppa somewhere that has the latest version of KMM that I could
> download and try.
>
> I have seen the latest .tar file for KMM but do not know what to do
> with it to install it.
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter

To keep totally up-to-date with the latest version requires building
from source, such as the tarball, which now is fully current, but which
gradually falls out of step as new features/fixes are added to the SVN
version.  To be able to do that, involves a bit of a learning curve.
It's not complicated, but it is 'bitty', as KMM needs various
dependency files, and these aren't totally described anywhere, to my
knowledge, mainly because the files come as part of other
libraries, and their names vary across the different distros.  However,
as my hair colour/quantity is probably similar to yours, and I can do
it, I'm sure you could too

If I understand your expertise level, perhaps the best way for now at
least, would be to get Claydoh's PPA version.  Thomas has just posted
about that.  On the ppa page, click 'Technical details.....' then
choose your version.  In the box below, copy the whole of the first
line, which is the detail of a new source from which to download, then
click 'Read about installing' near the top of the page, and a panel
will open showing how to proceed. On the terminal, paste the ppa detail
and prefix it with 'sudo add-apt-repository', so the line looks similar
in format to the screenshot, then follow the panel.  That should get
you a sparkling new 4.6 version.

If/when you feel confident enough to chance your arm, I'm sure we could
talk you through it.

Good luck.

Allan