[Kmymoney] Re: [Kmymoney2-user] Kmymoney and Android

Karl Grant karlgrant06+kmymoney at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 13:08:03 CEST 2010

On 13 October 2010 17:59, allan <aganderson at ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

> On 10/07/10 10:03, Karl Grant wrote:
> > Hi all, Just got myself and new android phone and was wondering if
> > there is any app that anyone uses to keep track of day to day cash
> > expenses with a view to importing them into KMM. I would just need to
> > record, date, category and amount.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > --
> > Karl
>
> Just wondering if you found anything suitable?
>
> The reason I ask is that I've started playing about with such an app.
> and I would like to know whether you've had further thoughts about what
> you need?
>
> At the moment, I input date, payee, item description and value, as these
> can be captured for QIF.  I don't think account details should be
> entered, for security reasons.  Presently, each item entered is written
> to the sqlite db.  They can be edited and saved, or deleted. Output is
> to the sdcard, which can be accessed via usb for import into KMM.  This
> is where I'm up to at the moment, having just for the first time written
> to the sdcard an then transferred it to the PC.
>
> The intention is to output either in CSV format suitable for the KMM csv
> import plugin, or in QIF format.
>
> I haven't yet decided whether to keep the sqlite data, or to continue to
> add to it, which then would require selection of what to import.
> However, with the csv plugin, all could be input and the plugin could be
> used to prune the item list.  I wouldn't envisage huge data volumes.
>
> What device and Android API version are you on?
>
> Allan

Hi Allan,
At the moment I'm using an app called Hello expense just to track my cash
spends, credit card, cheques etc are all electronic so I let KMM download
these.
There are quite a few on the market now, but these are trying to be full
blown budgeting and stocks which is overkill for me. I prefer looking at
long lists of figures and graph on a nice big 23" screen not a 2.5" one :-)
TBH I haven't tried an import yet as I can get all my email and do most of
my browsing on the phone so the main pc isn't on as much as it used to be !
(Desire with Froyo)

I would like to store date, payee, item description and value and be able to
assign them to the different KMM categories. This might involve an export of
accounts from KMM initially or some sort of sync. Maybe you could look at
the OFX format rather than QIF, still text based but you can include more
info IIRC. I would agree with you that purging data after import would be
good. I would be okay with an export function then import into kmm via usb.
So the purge function would be part of your app.

 I can see some people wanting to keep account balances on it but again I
agree with you on the security issue. (account names would be okay if for
example you are thinking of tracking cash withdrawals)

Ideally, but I can't see how this would be implemented unless there was a
new module added to KMM I would like to capture a photo of the receipt. Add
in OCR to pull the info off it and ... okay now I'm getting carried away :-)

--
Karl