Investment transaction that can't be deleted

Brendan Coupe 3 at coupe7.com
Sun May 21 05:54:45 BST 2023

On 5/20/23 18:32, Jack via KMyMoney-devel wrote:
> On 2023.05.20 20:19, Brendan Coupe via KMyMoney-devel wrote:
>> I'm running KMM on Fedora 38 on a very recently compiled version of
>> the 5.1 branch. This problem is not recent but now it's causing a
>> problem I can't fix.
>>
>> I have monthly "Sweep" interest deposits in my investment accounts. I
>> use direct connect to import the OXF data into the investment account
>> where the Sweep deposits show up as a Dividend Activity. I want to
>> change it to Interest Income but after doing so, there is no option
>> to save my changes. This has been going on for a while so I have just
>> lived with it.
>>
>> The problem I am having now is that a Sweep deposit on February 27
>> was imported twice. I can not delete either transaction, the delete
>> option is grayed out. There is no indication of why I can't delete
>> it. This is true of all of the sweep transactions. I can delete all
>> of the other transactions that I tested.
>>
>> I can try to match the two transactions. When I do I get and error
>> message "Cannot remove the transaction that references a closed
>> account ... mymoneyfile.cpp:717". While messing around I also
>> generated the matching error "Invalid transaction key..."I did not
>> save those changes and  am back tot he first error.
> This is the issue.  Somehow, the transaction is referring to a closed
> equity account.  This can happen with imported transactions, even
> though you could not manually create such a transaction.  You need to
> "show all accounts" and then re-open the referenced one.

Show all accounts revealed the hidden deleted Sweep in Investments /
Equities tab. I re-opened it and my problems were solved. I'm not clear
on the difference between the Equities tab and the Securities tab in the
Investments area. Since I have 3 Sweeps entries in the Securities area,
I did not expect to find any in the Equities area.

Thanks for your help.

>> When I go to the Investments / Securities tab there are 3 Sweep
>> securities shown. I am able to delete one of them, the other two have
>> the delete button grayed out. Id did not save this change. I can
>> enter edit mode where they are both listed as Bonds with different
>> symbols and Identification Numbers, but the rest is the same.
> Unless you already displayed all accounts, the ones displayed are not
> the problem closed one, and you can't delete them if there are
> existing transactions referring to them, but that's a separate issue.
>>
>> I just re-sorted the investment account ledger by date, and one of
>> the 2 Sweeps from Feb 27 is at the bottom of the ledger, below many
>> transactions that are newer. I also see another transaction from
>> December in the middle of the May transactions.
> Check the sort order being used.  I can sometimes do funny things.
> Also, I've seen (in master branch) that if you apply a search (Ctl-F)
> then even if you close the search box, the "searched" transactions
> appear at the bottom of the ledger, apparently out of normal sort
> order.  Closing that ledger and re-opening it fixes the display.
> However, that is in master, so it is probably not your problem.
>>
>> The consistency check does not find any problems.

*Brendan Coupe*
*3 at Coupe7.com*