Investment transaction that can't be deleted

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Sun May 21 01:32:12 BST 2023

On 2023.05.20 20:19, Brendan Coupe via KMyMoney-devel wrote:
> I'm running KMM on Fedora 38 on a very recently compiled version of
> the 5.1 branch. This problem is not recent but now it's causing a
> problem I can't fix.
>
> I have monthly "Sweep" interest deposits in my investment accounts. I
> use direct connect to import the OXF data into the investment account
> where the Sweep deposits show up as a Dividend Activity. I want to
> change it to Interest Income but after doing so, there is no option
> to save my changes. This has been going on for a while so I have just
> lived with it.
>
> The problem I am having now is that a Sweep deposit on February 27
> was imported twice. I can not delete either transaction, the delete
> option is grayed out. There is no indication of why I can't delete
> it. This is true of all of the sweep transactions. I can delete all
> of the other transactions that I tested.
>
> I can try to match the two transactions. When I do I get and error
> message "Cannot remove the transaction that references a closed
> account ... mymoneyfile.cpp:717". While messing around I also
> generated the matching error "Invalid transaction key..."I did not
> save those changes and  am back tot he first error.
This is the issue.  Somehow, the transaction is referring to a closed
equity account.  This can happen with imported transactions, even
though you could not manually create such a transaction.  You need to
"show all accounts" and then re-open the referenced one.

> When I go to the Investments / Securities tab there are 3 Sweep
> securities shown. I am able to delete one of them, the other two have
> the delete button grayed out. Id did not save this change. I can
> enter edit mode where they are both listed as Bonds with different
> symbols and Identification Numbers, but the rest is the same.
Unless you already displayed all accounts, the ones displayed are not
the problem closed one, and you can't delete them if there are existing
transactions referring to them, but that's a separate issue.

> I just re-sorted the investment account ledger by date, and one of
> the 2 Sweeps from Feb 27 is at the bottom of the ledger, below many
> transactions that are newer. I also see another transaction from
> December in the middle of the May transactions.
Check the sort order being used.  I can sometimes do funny things.
Also, I've seen (in master branch) that if you apply a search (Ctl-F)
then even if you close the search box, the "searched" transactions
appear at the bottom of the ledger, apparently out of normal sort
order.  Closing that ledger and re-opening it fixes the display.
However, that is in master, so it is probably not your problem.