inconsistent diaply of stock name

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Sep 14 15:43:48 BST 2022

On 9/14/22 02:20, Thomas Baumgart via KMyMoney-devel wrote:

> On Sonntag, 11. September 2022 23:05:42 CEST Jack Ostroff via
> KMyMoney-devel wrote:
>

> > Somehow I ended up with a stock with one name in the Equities tab of
>
> > the Investment View, but a different name (same symbol and other
>
> > details) in the Securities tab.  In the ledger, all transactions for
>
> > that stock were displayed with the name shown in the Equities tab, but
>
> > when edited, the name switched to the one from the Securities tab.
>

> The naming might be misleading (and I am open for improvements) but here
>
> is what is (should be) shown:
>

> The equities tab lists the sub-accounts of the selected investment
> accounts.
>
> So the name in the leftmost column is the name of an account. This account
>
> is denominated in a security. Which one is shown in the symbol column.
>

> The securities tab on the other hand lists the securities used in the
>
> data set. So the leftmost column shows the name of the security and not
>
> the account.
>

> When a new account with a new security is created, both get the same name.
>
> That may lead to the confusion.
>

> > In addition, while trying to clean this up, at one point, I had the
>
> > entry in the Equities tab showing Stock, but the entry in the
>
> > Securities tab showing Mutual Fund.
>

> That is weird and might have been caused by a selection bug. It should not
>
> be the case and I could not duplicate it with current master.
>

> > First, I'm not sure any of those details of a Security Account should
>
> > be allowed to be different from the Equity from which it ws derived,
>
> > and which is still it's parent.
>

> Currently, there is only a 'logical link' between the account and the
>
> security through the currency/security-ID the account is denominated in.
>
> If we want to have a tighter coupling (say the name of security and
> account
>
> needs to be identical in all times) then we need to force that.
>

> > Second, display details in a ledger should always (my opinion, open for
>
> > discussion) be taken from the security accunt and not the parent
>
> > equity, especially if they can differ.
>

> I think that is the case but might be mistaken. If you can tell me where
>
> it is not the case we can change it.

First, in my original message, I switch the name of the Securities and
Equities tabs. However, I'm pretty sure the origin of this issue was
that a stock was purchased, creating both the security and the equity
account.  I later changed the name of the equity, and apparently this
did not also change the name of the security.  Now when I look in the
ledger for a transaction for that stock, it shows one of the names.
When I edit that transaction, it switches and shows the other name.

  I'll have to test again and see if I can  create a small test data file.