inconsistent diaply of stock name

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Wed Sep 14 07:20:19 BST 2022

On Sonntag, 11. September 2022 23:05:42 CEST Jack Ostroff via KMyMoney-devel wrote:

> Somehow I ended up with a stock with one name in the Equities tab of
> the Investment View, but a different name (same symbol and other
> details) in the Securities tab.  In the ledger, all transactions for
> that stock were displayed with the name shown in the Equities tab, but
> when edited, the name switched to the one from the Securities tab.

The naming might be misleading (and I am open for improvements) but here
is what is (should be) shown:

The equities tab lists the sub-accounts of the selected investment accounts.
So the name in the leftmost column is the name of an account. This account
is denominated in a security. Which one is shown in the symbol column.

The securities tab on the other hand lists the securities used in the
data set. So the leftmost column shows the name of the security and not
the account.

When a new account with a new security is created, both get the same name.
That may lead to the confusion.

> In addition, while trying to clean this up, at one point, I had the
> entry in the Equities tab showing Stock, but the entry in the
> Securities tab showing Mutual Fund.

That is weird and might have been caused by a selection bug. It should not
be the case and I could not duplicate it with current master.

> First, I'm not sure any of those details of a Security Account should
> be allowed to be different from the Equity from which it ws derived,
> and which is still it's parent.

Currently, there is only a 'logical link' between the account and the
security through the currency/security-ID the account is denominated in.
If we want to have a tighter coupling (say the name of security and account
needs to be identical in all times) then we need to force that.

> Second, display details in a ledger should always (my opinion, open for
> discussion) be taken from the security accunt and not the parent
> equity, especially if they can differ.

I think that is the case but might be mistaken. If you can tell me where
it is not the case we can change it.

Why do programmers wear glasses?
Cause they don't C#.