inconsistent diaply of stock name

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Sep 14 18:55:41 BST 2022

On 2022.09.14 02:20, Thomas Baumgart via KMyMoney-devel wrote:
> On Sonntag, 11. September 2022 23:05:42 CEST Jack Ostroff via
> KMyMoney-devel wrote:
>
> > Somehow I ended up with a stock with one name in the Equities tab of
> > the Investment View, but a different name (same symbol and other
> > details) in the Securities tab.  In the ledger, all transactions for
> > that stock were displayed with the name shown in the Equities tab,
> but
> > when edited, the name switched to the one from the Securities tab.
>
> The naming might be misleading (and I am open for improvements) but
> here
> is what is (should be) shown:
>
> The equities tab lists the sub-accounts of the selected investment
> accounts.
> So the name in the leftmost column is the name of an account. This
> account
> is denominated in a security. Which one is shown in the symbol column.
>
> The securities tab on the other hand lists the securities used in the
> data set. So the leftmost column shows the name of the security and
> not
> the account.
>
> When a new account with a new security is created, both get the same
> name.
> That may lead to the confusion.
>
> > In addition, while trying to clean this up, at one point, I had the
> > entry in the Equities tab showing Stock, but the entry in the
> > Securities tab showing Mutual Fund.
>
> That is weird and might have been caused by a selection bug. It
> should not
> be the case and I could not duplicate it with current master.
>
> > First, I'm not sure any of those details of a Security Account
> should
> > be allowed to be different from the Equity from which it ws derived,
> > and which is still it's parent.
>
> Currently, there is only a 'logical link' between the account and the
> security through the currency/security-ID the account is denominated
> in.
> If we want to have a tighter coupling (say the name of security and
> account
> needs to be identical in all times) then we need to force that.
>
> > Second, display details in a ledger should always (my opinion, open
> for
> > discussion) be taken from the security accunt and not the parent
> > equity, especially if they can differ.
>
> I think that is the case but might be mistaken. If you can tell me
> where
> it is not the case we can change it.
There seem to be several odd behaviors here, using git master Version
5.1.80-4a321444c.  I've attached the sample xml data file.

1)  Create a new xml file with Invest and brokerage accounts wtih $500
starting balance.
2) Try to add a Buy transaction, but Enter remains disabled until I
explicitly go to Equities tab of Investments View and do "New
investmant...". with XYZ and "New XYZ stock"   (minor bug - I believe
it used to open the new security wizard at this point)
Invest acocunt ledger is empty.  The brokerage account does show the
transaction.  (minor bug - has some signal not been triggered to
display the new transaction?)
4) quit and restart, and the transaction shows up properly in both
ledgers.
5) (I think this step is not necessary, but it's what I did first)
Rename the stock by editing in the Equities tab.  The entry in the
Securities tab shows the changed name
6) Change the stock name in the Securities tab.  This does NOT change
the name in the Equities tab.
7) The ledgers then both (investment, brokerage) show the security with
the name from the Securities tab.  However, when you edit the
transaction, it now shows the security with the name from the Equities
tab.
It is this name change on editing which confuses me.  I would expect
both to use the name from the Equities tab.

I find it a bit odd that changing a security's name in the Equities tab
(Security account) also changes the name in the Securities tab but not
the other way around.  I think my preference would be to force them to
always be the same, but I consider that a low-priority wishlist item.