Strange arithmetic

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Mon Oct 26 07:55:13 GMT 2020

Jack,

can you try the contrib/getsplitpart.pl script to extract
the info of that account and check it using a spread-sheet program?

I suspect it to be caused by some rounding issue (possibly in an
older transaction recorded with an older version of KMyMoney).

Thomas

On Donnerstag, 22. Oktober 2020 22:25:58 CET Jack wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've seen this before, but not very often.  I cannot detect any pattern
> in when it happens.  I think it has even been mentioned once on this
> list.
>
> Every now and then, the arithmetic in the ledger seems off by a penny
> ($.01).  I've attached a screen shot of the Payment, Deposit, and
> Balance columns from a ledger for a checking account.  At least three
> of the transactions are one cent off what I would expect from the
> addition or subtraction of the payment or deposit from the previous
> balance.  All transactions are cash, so I don't see how rounding could
> be involved.  However, this IS a brokerage account, so there are some
> investment transactions earlier in the history, in case it matters.  I
> don't recall for certain whether I've seen this in a non-brokerage
> account.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Jackj

My friend couldn't afford to pay his water bill. So I sent him a 'get well soon' card.