Strange arithmetic

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 26 23:04:05 GMT 2020

Thomas,

Thanks for the hint.  That does show two transactions that clearly
didn't round well.  (extracted from spreadsheet)

T000000000000010355	S0001	16137733/1000000	16.137733
T000000000000010361	S0001	1330837/200	6654.185

Both are sales of stock.  After editing and saving them, the first
changed amount from 16.13 to 16.14 (as shown in the brokerage account)
and the first gave an error of missing .01.  I adjusted the "brokerage
fees" by one cent, and the error went away, leaving the amount at
6654.18.  The new extracted csv shows

T000000000000010355	S0001	807/50	16.14
T000000000000010361	S0001	332709/50	6654.18

I played a bit looking for other issues, and it looks like testing for
a denominator >100 (at least for USDollar where that implies a finer
gradation than .01) would find all such issues.  In my case, it only
found those two.  Eventually, I'll run it (or a modified version) on my
other accounts to be sure there isn't another problem lurking in my
data.  Since the program will no longer create such results, I suppose
it's not worth adding this to the consistency checks, but it might be
worth making a modified version of getsplitpart.pl to look through ALL
transactions for such issues.  I'll see if I have time to try it.

Jack