Strange arithmetic

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Oct 22 21:25:58 BST 2020

Hello all,

I've seen this before, but not very often.  I cannot detect any pattern
in when it happens.  I think it has even been mentioned once on this
list.

Every now and then, the arithmetic in the ledger seems off by a penny
($.01).  I've attached a screen shot of the Payment, Deposit, and
Balance columns from a ledger for a checking account.  At least three
of the transactions are one cent off what I would expect from the
addition or subtraction of the payment or deposit from the previous
balance.  All transactions are cash, so I don't see how rounding could
be involved.  However, this IS a brokerage account, so there are some
investment transactions earlier in the history, in case it matters.  I
don't recall for certain whether I've seen this in a non-brokerage
account.

Any thoughts?

Jackj