Currency terms in KMyMoney

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sat Aug 29 12:26:56 BST 2020

On Samstag, 29. August 2020 11:49:10 CEST Ian Neal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At the moment in the currencies dialog the following terms are used when
> you look at the properties of a currency:
> Smallest cash unit
> Smallest money unit
> Remainder
> Price precision
>
>  From what I can tell:
> Smallest cash unit - smallest unit used in calculations within
> application, varies from 0.01 to 0.000001
> Smallest money unit - smallest monetary unit in circulation, not sure if
> it is used within the application
> Remainder - no idea what this is used for, seems to be set to Never for
> all currencies
> Price precision - not sure what is linked to or if it is used within the
> application, seems to be set to 4 for all currencies
>
> Can anyone offer further guidance on the terms and what they are used for?

I can give it a try:

Smallest cash unit: the smallest denomination used in accounts (I am not sure, why it
is called 'cash unit' here, in the data file it is 'saf', smallestAccountFraction. It
is used for all accounts except cash accounts and general display formatting.

Smallest money unit: the smallest denomination of the local money (coins) (in
the data file it is called 'scf', smallestCashFraction. It is used for cash accounts

Look at the Hungarian Forint (HUF) which shows different values for both. Maybe, we
should come up with better descriptions of these two fields. Suggestions welcome.

Remainder: Seems to be the AlkValue::RoundingMethod from what I see.

Price precision: The default price precision for conversion rates. Usually, 4 digits
is enough, but some (e.g. Indonesian Rupiah) need way more to provide accurate results.
The old default was 4 but for new files it is 10.

Hope that gives some insights.

Q: What does a house wear? A: Address